SanGang ⎯ Appeal Process

Moderators: LSSD: Command Staff, OOTS: SIB, PSD: IAB Team Leader

LSSD

SanGang ⎯ Appeal Process

Post by LSSD »

SanGang® Appeal Process

What is SanGang®?
SanGang® is a statewide database for registered gang members in the State of San Andreas. SanGang® was established in 2020 after the 71st San Andreas State Congress passed the Street Terrorism Enforcement & Prevention Act. SanGang® is administrated by the San Andreas Department of Justice and the San Andreas Attorney General. The objective of the SanGang® database is to provide law enforcement agencies with an accurate, timely, and electronically-generated database of statewide gang-related intelligence information. All records and information contained in the SanGang® database are confidential and are for the use of law enforcement agencies only.

The SanGang® system operates pursuant to the United States Code of Federal Regulations, title 28, section 23 (28CFR23), ad seq. as a Criminal Intelligence System.

Who has access to SanGang®?
SanGang® is not available to all law enforcement agencies or personnel. Only approved and trained law enforcement officers and support staff may access SanGang® information. Access and release of SanGang® Criminal Intelligence Information is on a Right-to-Know (A Law Enforcement Officer and Support Staff) and Need-to-Know (Legitimate Law Enforcement Purpose) basis only.

The LS County Sheriff's Department's Operation Safe Streets Bureau is responsible for the administration of SanGang® and maintains the database on the behalf of the Department. The Operation Safe Streets Bureau is responsible for the training of all personnel using the system.

There are circumstances where approved users may run proxy queries on behalf of other users who demonstrate a need-to-know and right-to-know, but there are restrictions on the number of times this may occur in a given year.

How are subjects added into the SanGang® Database?
A suspected gang member or a suspected gang associate may initially be entered into the SanGang® database and designated as a gang member or a gang associate if a minimum of two unique criteria* are found to exist through investigation by a trained law enforcement officer, and not without a law enforcement agency’s reasonable suspicion, provided the gang’s existence has been, or is concurrently, documented in the database.

All criteria must be supported by lawfully obtained source documents. Examples of source documents may include, but are not limited to, arrest reports, field interview cards, photographs, and jail records.

All proposed entries made in SanGang®, and related intelligence data, must be reviewed and approved through a supervisory review process.

*A detailed list of criteria can be found within the San Andreas Street Terrorism Enforcement & Prevention Act.
https://forum.gta.world/en/topic/25405- ... -step-act/

How can I find out if I am in the database?
You, or an attorney working on your behalf, may submit a written request to the LS County Sheriff's Department to determine if you are listed in the SanGang® database.

The LS County Sheriff's Department will provide an answer regarding whether you are designated in SanGang® If you are a juvenile person under 18 years of age, your parent or guardian or an attorney working on your behalf may submit a written request.

Please note, if responding to an information request from either an adult or a juvenile would compromise an active investigation or the health and safety of a juvenile who is designated as a Gang Member or Associate in the SanGang® database, the LS County Sheriff's Department is not required to provide a response.

The following form may be used to inquire as to whether or not a person is in SanGang®. It may be e-mailed to the LS County Sheriff's Department Professional Standards Division.

Code: Select all

[b]Insert Date

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
100 Innocence Boulevard
Los Santos, SA 90012

Requestor Name
Street Address
City, State, Zip Code

Subject: [i]Request for Information – Designation in SanGang[/i]

To Whom It May Concern: 

I am writing on behalf of myself, insert Requestor Name, in accordance with the San Andreas Street Terrorism Enforcement & Prevention Act, to inquire whether I am designated as a suspected gang member or associate in the SanGang database.

Should you have any questions regarding my request, please contact me at insert number (area code) number. Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,
[img]SIGNATURE HERE[/img]
Requestor Name
If I am in the SanGang® Database, how can I be removed?
If you, your parent or guardian if you are a juvenile, or an attorney working on your behalf, have received written notice from the LS County Sheriff's Department that you are designated in the SanGang® database, you, your parent or guardian if you are a juvenile, or your attorney, may submit a written request to contest your designation in SanGang®. This written request must be submitted to the Professional Standards Division of the LS County Sheriff's Department.

Please note, the LS County Sheriff's Department will provide a written response within 30 days of the submission of your request for removal. If the LS County Sheriff's Department denies your request for removal, the Department's response will include the reason for the denial. If the LS County Sheriff's Department does not provide a response within a 30-day period, the request for removal from SanGang® should be considered denied.
To note, Section 307 of the STEP ACT does not mandate the Law Enforcement Agency to provide thorough information that supports the basis for the designation of Gang Affiliate in the SanGang Database.

What does the SanGang® appeal process consist of?
Once a request for a SanGang® appeal has been received by the Professional Standards Division, the Professional Standards Division will liaise with Operation Safe Streets Bureau in order to ascertain the background surrounding the submitted SanGang® record. In cooperation with Operation Safe Streets Bureau, the Professional Standards Division will determine if the SanGang® submission was lawful. If it was not, the record shall be removed and the complainant shall receive a letter within thirty (30) days of the record being removed.

If the submission is found to be lawful, the complainant will receive a letter notifying them of such within thirty (30) days. If the complainant does not receive such a letter, the complainant can consider their request to be removed from SanGang® denied.

The following form may be used to request for the removal of a person from SanGang®. It may be e-mailed to the LS County Sheriff's Department Professional Standards Division.

Code: Select all

[b]Insert Date

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
100 Innocence Boulevard
Los Santos, SA 90012

Requestor Name
Street Address
City, State, Zip Code

Subject: [i]Request for Removal – Designation in SanGang[/i]

To Whom It May Concern: 

I am writing on behalf of myself, insert Requestor Name, in accordance with the San Andreas Street Terrorism Enforcement & Prevention Act, to request my immediate removal from the SanGang database.

If my request is denied, I am seeking to inquire as to the reason surrounding my submission into the SanGang system.

Should you have any questions regarding my request, please contact me at insert number (area code) number. Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,
[img]SIGNATURE HERE[/img]
Requestor Name
Sheriff Gregory Reznik
Los Santos County Sheriff's Department ⎯ "A Tradition of Service"
This account is not monitored and messages submitted will NOT be recieved.