Inquiries, Contact Information, Contact Information and Most Frequently Asked Questions

Moderators: LSSD: Command Staff, OOTS: SIB, PSD: IAB Team Leader

LSSD

Inquiries, Contact Information, Contact Information and Most Frequently Asked Questions

Post by LSSD »

Inquiries, Contact Information, Commendations/Complaints
and Most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Los Santos County Sheriff's Dept.
General Contact Info

Mail Address:
Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
Hall of Justice
100 Innocence Boulevard
Los Santos, SA 90012

LSSD General Email
Click above to email a general question to the
Sheriff's Department

Questions and Answers:

Who is the Sheriff of Los Santos County?
A:
The currently serving Sheriff is Gregory Reznik.

How do I report a crime?
A:
You can report a crime by calling the non-emergency hotline and requesting to speak to a deputy sheriff. If it is an emergency, please call 911 immediately.

How do I file a complaint about a deputy sheriff or an employee of the LSSD?
A:
You can file a complaint by visiting your Sheriff's station or by following the instructions found on our Complaints and Commendations Portal.

Why do I have Sheriff's Deputies patrolling in my area instead of a Police Officer?
A:
In Los Santos County communities that have not incorporated into cities, the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department provides law enforcement and operates the county jails and courts. Dozens of cities in the Los Santos County contract with the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department to provide law enforcement services in the City.

What happens if I refuse to sign a traffic ticket I disagree with?
A:
Signing a citation is merely your promise to appear in court, or pay the fine, for a violation. Your signature is not an admission of guilt. When a person refuses to sign a citation, the deputy may have to arrest and bring them to a jail facility.

When must a deputy read me my rights?
A:
The Miranda decision requires officers to inform a person of their rights involving counsel and self-incrimination only in certain situations involving interrogation after arrest.

How long will I have to wait for a patrol car to come to my call?
A:
Calls for service are handled in order of priority based on the level of emergency each incident represents. Crimes in progress, rescues and felony crimes take precedence over non-violent crimes and report calls. Because emergency calls often require the coordinated efforts of many units, deputies may be delayed arriving to non-emergency calls. Please do not use the 911 telephone system for non-emergency situations.

Do I have to give my name when reporting a crime?
A:
No, we will attempt to investigate an anonymous crime tip, however, court decisions impose limitations on investigations based solely on anonymous tips. We recognize that you may not want to be identified by the people you are reporting. If you have concerns, request that your information be kept confidential or that deputies not contact you when they respond.

Often Misunderstood Terminology:
a. Burglary vs. Robbery; b. Trespassing vs. Loitering; c. Terrorist Threats; d. Assault vs. Battery; e. File Number; f. Call or Tag Numbers; g. Racial Profiling

a. Burglary vs. Robbery:
These two theft crimes often get confused. A person who breaks into a home, business or locked car to steal is committing burglary. A person who steals from another person directly by force (like a purse snatch) or fear (threats or by using a weapon) is committing a robbery.
b. Trespassing vs. Loitering:
Trespassing occurs when a person enters or remains on private property which has signs prohibiting entry or after they have been told to leave by the owner.
Loitering involves remaining in a public place without business. This is most often a concern when people loiter about a public restroom to commit sex acts.
c. Terrorist Threats:
Terrorist threats is a very specific felony crime involving threats of death or great injury from a person capable of committing the threat. This is often confused with people who provoke fights or with threatening phone calls (some circumstances, these are misdemeanor crimes).
d. Assault vs. Battery:
The severity of the crime and punishment involved in assaults depends on many specific factors including whether the person actually struck another or just tried, whether a weapon was used, what kind of injury resulted (or would most likely result), and the relationship between the parties (assaulting someone in a domestic relationship, a small child, or an official such as police, fire, postal workers, etc. would be a more serious crime).
e. File Number:
This is the unique number assigned to a report taken by a deputy sheriff. A deputy taking a report will often leave a form with the person reporting the crime including this number. As we take many thousands of various reports each year, having this number on hand will make it much easier to reference your report.
f. Call or Tag Numbers:
Whenever a deputy handles a call or stops a car, even for a warning, the computerized dispatching system attaches a unique number to that incident.
g. Racial Profiling:
Peace officers are prohibited from detaining persons based solely on their race. The Los Santos County Sheriff's Department voluntarily collects and reports information about the makeup of the people or personnel stop, issue citations to or arrest.
Sheriff Gregory Reznik
Los Santos County Sheriff's Department ⎯ "A Tradition of Service"
This account is not monitored and messages submitted will NOT be recieved.